So, you have a dehydrating dilemma. You yearn for locks with the silkiness of satin sheets, but you’re stuck with hair that looks and feels like it was forgotten in the oven.
Is there any way to fix your parched mess, or are you trapped with dry strands forever? Before we get to the solutions, let’s quickly venture to the root of your dryness problem.
What Causes Hair Dryness?
If you have issues with dry hair, it’s likely that your scalp doesn’t produce enough natural oils that work to balance moisture in your strands. This can also lead to a dry scalp and dandruff.
Another reason may be that your hair is not retaining moisture, which can happen for a number of reasons. Every strand of hair has an outer layer called a cuticle (no, not the kind on your nails) that protects your hair from heat and UV damage. If your hairs’ cuticles aren’t in good shape, they’re likely open, exposed, and are letting moisture escape, causing your hair to shrivel up into a withered mess.
Other Dry-Hair Troublemakers
Other culprits can create dry hair woes, and some of them are responsible for causing your cuticles to stay open like busted vents.
- Over-Washing: Too many washes or harsh shampoos mean your hair’s natural oils are being depleted at a faster rate.
- The Elements: Wind, dry air, and especially SUN will dry out your strands. Try to limit your hair’s exposure on harsh days.
- Chemical Treatments: Harsh chemical treatments leave your hair tarnished, dry, and difficult to manage. This includes many dyes, styling products, and even certain shampoos and conditioners.
- You’re a Hothead: High-heat blow-drying, straightening, and curling irons can significantly damage and dilapidate strands.
Solutions for Dry Hair
Thankfully, you can adopt a few new practices that’ll quickly transition your hair from sapped to soft – all without spending a ton of money at the salon.
- Scale Back the Washes: You may only need one or two washes a week, depending on your hair. This will lessen the amount of blow-drying you’ll require, too (two birds, one stone).
- Switch Your Products: Check the ingredients on your shampoo and all hair products for harsh, over-drying chemicals. Make sure there’s absolutely NO alcohol in any of your products, and switch to more natural hair remedies.
- Condition: A moisturizing conditioner will properly seal your hair’s cuticles and can help to preserve your own natural moisture.
Lastly, to kick dryness combat into overdrive, lather your strands with La Formule. It’s a 5-minute remedy that softens your locks and continues to nourish your hair for weeks after application – meaning your hair gets better over time. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a deep-conditioning salon treatment, you can have healthy hair in minutes – minus the harsh chemicals and hefty price tag.